12.07.2009

Kruzof Island Cabin Fever {Sitka Alaska Photographer}

Been meaning to blog this for awhile, so for the sake of my {slightly} Type A brain that wants things somewhat in chronological order, I have to blog this before I can blog about our trip to the other part of Alaska this past week :)

Way back in October, the guys got deer hunting fever big time . . . so they wanted to go explore one of the islands off the island we live on that's known to have deer. So Russ, Katrina, Nate and I hopped into the "F/V Enforcer" { pet name for our leaky boat} and cruised off to Kruzof.


The Tongass National Forest has many cabins all over Southeast Alaska, rentable to whoever likes.


The most unique hammock graced the front lawn of our cabin . . .


made with driftwood and fishing net.


Somehow, Katrina and I went along hunting with the guys . . . Nate and Russ carefully strategized.


Some of the sights of rainforest and sea plants . . .


We returned to the cabin and a slice of sun appeared in the sky . . . and then, later, to the sauna.

Nate and Russ somehow rigged up a sauna on the side of the woodshed. The old stove that used to be in the cabin was just hanging out outside in the open . . . and well one idea let to the next and pretty soon the guys were making a sauna!

Insulated with mud and moss, it did pretty well for a wilderness sauna.


Nate made banana s'mores. Russ ended up getting a deer, so we had fresh venison for dinner, too.


Here's Nate, enjoying his coffee in the morning . . .


The waves were pretty rough on the day we went home; Nate carefully navigated his way through the rough sea while Russ diligently worked to get the excess water out of our boat.
We were extremely thankful to make it back to Baranof Island safely!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta quit reading your blog before turn permanently green with envy. What does Nate do for work up there?

Cheryl said...

Amazing pictures!

Julie said...

The green colors are amazing! Thanks for sharing- I love reading about your adventures. Beautiful photos, as always.

Anonymous said...

I don't know Russ but I can totally see his brother Dan, and my Dan getting into an escapade like this;) how fun. Lovely sunshine pic, oh and the "sipping coffee" one was perfect.

Juliana said...

that was me, Juli

Shannon said...

WOW! love this blog and pics..they are amazing and beautiful!! you've got amazing talent Jen :)

Katelyn said...

Looks like tons of fun! Always an adventure on the Enforcer! I miss being up there and seeing all the beautiful sights!!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer-

Somebody sent me a link to your blog recently. You have some unbelievable pictures on here, Alaska looks like an amazing place. I will have to keep an eye on your blog.
Nick R.

Jan said...

gorgeous photos! I would like to see more of you and Katrina in your hunting garb :) that banana smore looks delish!