2.28.2009

Still Life Photography


. . . and nourishment for 3 days!
Nate and I spent last weekend in Juneau (needed to get off the island and drive on some new roads!). While we were there, Nate had sushi dinner for 3 nights in a row! (I had some as well, just not all 3 nights). He seems to have food jags every now and then.

So, anyways, in my studies of photography, we are studying lighting. It's such a fun subject. While I am in no way the master of lighting, it sure is fun to experiement with the lighting you have. I tried to do this "still life" of our dinner and using white paper as a reflector and the lamp overhead, and a little fill flash, I attempted to experiment. While this has some odd color casts, it was pretty fun to photograph.
Also, if you have never had sushi, it is quite yummy. And nutritious. The fish is actually super fresh and does not taste fishy at all. I would recommend starting out with California Rolls: these have avocado, carrot, crab (or imitation crab), and cucumber in the seaweed wrap and blanketed with sticky rice. Dip in soy sauce. Yum. Plus, it kind of feels adventurous to eat it . . . not our usual casserole, hotdish type of Midwestern fare, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I consider myself pretty adventurous when it comes to foods but I've always been scared to try sushi. I think it's just the whole raw fish thing...I expect it to taste 'weird'. Maybe I'll have to try it someday!

Great photo! Always good to get out and do a little exploring!

joan j said...

I don't know....sushi? I would have to be in a very, very daring mood to try it. What is the texture like? I picture it to be chewy like scallops. Ugh, gives me the shivers just thinking about it! :)